I got tired of looking up links over and over.
JAI is a computer language being developed by Jonathan Blow (His Site). The main goal is to replace C/C++ with a new language that will speed up the development of computer games. The language’s big concepts are bring back the joy of programming, putting data at the center of design, syntax that respects the programmer’s workflow and controlling compiling from the language.
- Jorge Rodríguez’s JAI Primer (His blog post about it)
- Inductive’s JAI Page
- JAI Revolution Free (Visual Studio 2013)
- Hitbox Hitbox channel (This might be obsolete.)
- Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/naysayer88
When will JAI release?
The date is unclear, but it is was given to a few close associates of Blow in Jan of 2018. Around this same time, he indicated a wider release is “n number of months away.” Implying by the end of the year without commitment to anything.
Links and mentions by Jonathan Blow in his videos
- Video 1:Ideas about a new programming language for games.
- CppCon 2014: Mike Acton “Data-Oriented Design and C++”
- dyncall – way JAI calls external C functions dynamically
- John Carmack on Inlined Code
- He mentions talk on why exceptions are bad, maybe this video? Andrei Alexandrescu – Systematic Error Handling in C++ or Andrei Alexandrescu – Error Handling in C++
Non Jai Links, but related to language creation
- Should I use a parser generator or should I roll my own custom lexer and parser code?
- Dr. Dobb’s So You Want To Write Your Own Language?
- How To Write A Simple Lexical Analyzer or Parser
- Let’s Build a Compiler, by Jack Crenshaw
- Bret Victor – Inventing on Principle
- The Next Mainstream Programming Language: A Game Developer’s Perspective Tim Sweeney Epic Games (slides only)
- Writing Your Own Toy Compiler Using Flex, Bison and LLVM
- Building a Modern Computer from First Principles aka From NAND Gates to Tetris
- Tuukka Pensala’s C or C++ for my game engine?