Jai Compiler References
I got tired of looking up links over and over. Last update: Aug 13, 2018
Jai is a computer language being developed by Jonathan Blow (His older website and newer blog) and his team Thekla. The main goal is to replace C/C++ with a new language that will speed up the development of computer games (but it should be useful in general purpose programming.) The language’s big concepts are:
- bring back the joy of programming
- putting data at the center of the design
- a syntax that respects the programmer’s workflow
- controlling compiling from the language
When will JAI release?
The date is unclear, but it is was given to a few close associates of Blow in Jan of 2018. Around this same time, he indicated a wider release is “n number of months away.” Implying by the end of the year without a commitment to anything. Most recently he reported that in Jun’18 4 people are working on the compiler and a game using the language.
Links and mentions by Jonathan Blow in his videos
- Sept’14 – the Talk that started it all (outdated at this point, see next link) Ideas about a new programming language for games
- Jul’18 – Gamelab talk Design decisions on creating Jai (or would you ever want to replace C++?!)
- Jan’18 – status update January Progress Report
- YouTube Playlist: A Programming Language for Games (Jonathan Blow’s Videos on Jai)
- Mar’18 – Abner Coimbre in-depth blog: Testing the Jai Compiler
- Jorge Rodríguez’s JAI Primer (His blog post about it)
- Inductive’s JAI Page
- JAI Revolution Free (Visual Studio 2013)
- Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/naysayer88
- Jumplinks to parts about other language thoughts from the Video 1: Ideas about a new programming language for games.
- Important related topics:
- CppCon 2014: Mike Acton “Data-Oriented Design and C++”
- dyncall – way JAI calls external C functions dynamically
- John Carmack on Inlined Code
- He mentions talk on why exceptions are bad, maybe this video? Andrei Alexandrescu – Systematic Error Handling in C++ or Andrei Alexandrescu – Error Handling in C++
Non Jai Links, but related to language creation
- Ginger Bill’s
- Should I use a parser generator or should I roll my own custom lexer and parser code?
- Dr. Dobb’s So You Want To Write Your Own Language?
- How To Write A Simple Lexical Analyzer or Parser
- Let’s Build a Compiler, by Jack Crenshaw
- Bret Victor – Inventing on Principle
- The Next Mainstream Programming Language: A Game Developer’s Perspective Tim Sweeney Epic Games (slides only)
- Writing Your Own Toy Compiler Using Flex, Bison and LLVM
- Building a Modern Computer from First Principles aka From NAND Gates to Tetris
- Tuukka Pensala’s C or C++ for my game engine?
- Building a C-based processor
- Fabien Sanglard (of Black Book fame)’s Quake Engine Code Review